What Kind of Childcare do I Need?What Kind of Childcare do I need?

All childcarers provided by Olives Childcare must be CRB (Criminal Record Bureau) checked, hold recognized first aid training, have childcare experience with contactable references (amount dependent on level) and proof of eligibility to work in the UK.  Every single candidate is thoroughly interviewed by Olives Childcare staff with any gaps in employment investigated and all references spoken to.

There are however several different types of child carers which all provide slightly different functions and services.  Understanding the difference between these is important to match your expectations to the professional you want to employ.

Qualifications which we look for in our childcarers include:

  • BTEC Higher National Certificate or Diploma in Early Childhood Studies
  • CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education (previously known as NNEB)
  • NVQ or SVQ Level 3 in Early Years Care and Education
  • BTEC Certificate in Children’s Care and Education
  • BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in Early Years

The above qualifications are those preferred by Olives Childcare, but level of experience would be dependent on the type of childcarer that you wish to employ.

A Nanny

A nanny is a live in or live out childcarer that has experience of looking after children and new borns.

Nannies can gain various levels of qualification and expertise, however two years experience, a CRB check, a valid pediatric first aid certificate and proof of eligibility to work in the UK are an essential.  They are the most well rounded childcare professional that you can employ for your family.

Nannies are generally the most flexible and we can offer night and day time nannies, live in or live out nannies and travelling nannies for families that have more international requirements.

At Olives Childcare we understand that every families needs are different, so we also offer more specialised nannies.  Should you want a bilingual nanny, a nanny with expertise in special needs or speech therapy, a nanny who is able to work as your personal assistant, a nanny housekeeper, a male nanny / manny, a nanny share or if you just have very specific times that you would need a nanny for, we are able to help.

These professionals can be entrusted with the sole charge of your children and most hold full driving licenses.

A nanny will usually work 5-6 days a week, with 1-2 nights of babysitting.  Hours are usually 45 hours a week with a salary expectation of £350-£600 per week, depending on experience and qualification.

A Maternity Nurse

A maternity nurse is a specialist infant childcarer who usually offers a 24 hour on call service to you right after the birth of your baby.

If you require the peace of mind that your newborn baby is in safe hands then they are the choice for you.

Maternity nurses can help with duties such as bottle feeding your baby (especially during the night), giving advice and support to you, help with settling your baby into a routine, taking care of your baby’s laundry and nursery room and most importantly providing support, encouragement and peace of mind.

Much like nannies, maternity nurses can be live in or out and work day or night.

Maternity nurse hours and wage are entirely dependent on requirements however experienced maternity nurses can be expected to be paid upwards of £600 per week.

Cost of hiring a Maternity Nurse:

Maternity Nurses usually take care of their own tax and National Insurance contributions, as they are self-employed.  Their salary varies with age and experience.  Below is a brief salary guideline.

£600 – £950 gross per week Single Baby ( 5-6 days, 24 hour cover )
£800 – £1200 gross per week Twin Babies ( 5-6 days, 24 hour cover )
£1000 – £1500 gross per week Triplet Babies ( 5-6 days, 24 hour cover )
£12.00 – £17.00 gross per hour Days Only ( Singles & Multiples )
£12.00 – £17.00 gross per hour Night Only ( Singles & Multiples )

If the baby hasn’t arrived by the time the nurse is due to start work, she should be paid half pay for the first week and full pay for the second week of waiting.

Any extra duties you require from your Maternity Nurse should be discussed in advance.

Mother’s Help

Mother’s help is used to describe a childcarer who offers similar services to a nanny, whilst not holding any qualifications.  They are expected to help with tasks around the home and work alongside parents much more than a nanny.

Mother’s helpers are not nannies and cannot be expected to take full responsibility for the children unless they take occasional sole charge of older children.

They are usually aged 18+. Mother’s Helpers are also usually willing to work more than Au Pair Plus anything between 30-50 hours per week plus two evenings babysitting.

The role of a mother’s help professional is to lighten the load and take some pressure off of the family. A mother’s helper will assist the parent(s) with childcare and housekeeping duties. These duties will be carried out under the supervision of the parent.

A mother’s helper can expect to be paid between £150 and £350 per week depending on age and experience.  Qualifications are not necessary, however they will have childcare experience.

It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that tax and national insurance contributions are paid.

An Au Pair

An au pair is traditionally known as a cultural exchange student and throughout the world an au pair is known as a person who travels to another country, to live with a host family, care for their children and help around the home in return for accommodation, pocket money and the opportunity to learn a new language and experience a new culture.

Au pairs are usually 18 years of age and older and they are not required to be qualified childcarers, however basic childcare experience is necessary.

The main advantages of taking on an au pair is having someone in your home that can teach your children about a different culture and language, and to provide an extra set of hands around the home.

Au Pairs are paid pocket money between £65 to £100 per week and are treated as a family member.  Driver au pairs and au pairs given additional responsibilities are usually paid more.